Monday, September 8, 2008

The clock is alarming

May 8th and the first call of the cuckoo. I had never heard the real bird call. When my beloved grandmother died she left me a small amount in her will so we decided to buy something that would remind us of her and her heritage. So when we went to her funeral in New Prague, MN, we went to our favorite wonderful Czech hotel where we fell in love with a beautiful old cuckoo clock - just the thing!

When I woke up that May morning in Scotland, my first thought was that I was back in America wakening to my old clock. But this was the real bird - and it was 5:00 in the morning. We'd gotten to bed after a great ceilidh at 2:00 a.m. I was wondering if the bird's clear call would get to be not all that delightful if it continued to wake us up at that ungodly hour (the sun was coming up about 4:00 and setting about 11:00 p.m.).

And the solstice wasn't until June.

1 comment:

Eileen said...

Too bad your photo doesn't have a sound track - that clock really does have a beautiful, mellow sound to it!

(Although I do guess that I would get tired of hearing it at 5am every day; I remember the period of time we went through when dad was on his 'clock kick' and we had all those chimes going off fairly constantly throughout the day and night. I can laugh about it *now*...)