Sunday, July 13, 2008

At home

It seemed strange to us at first that we could leave our house in Minnesota without a backward glance. There was never a moment's regret - we never missed or even thought about it. We missed friends - we missed family - but not our house, even though we had loved it dearly while we lived there. We were learning that for us, home was any place we were together.

When I was packing to come to Scotland I slipped a few family photos, along with a favorite tiny Eskimo carving (from my gallery) and a little china gnome I'd gotten as a gift from my daughter, into our suitcases (the gnome had become a kitchen companion and talisman). When I set these few things up in Castlehill, all of a sudden it was home.

We found that it is possible to travel light through life - that it is those we love and friends we treasure that are the only truly important possessions.

Everything else is just stuff.

2 comments:

The hijobs.co.uk team said...

Hi

We've linked to your excellent blog on Highland life!

http://hijobs-team.blogspot.com/

Regards from the
hijobs.co.uk team

Eileen said...

Too true - and true enough!