Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Good-bye to our house

This was our house when we decided to move. Now the flowers and birds (including a pair of mallards) were gracing the yard and it was hard to think of leaving it all.

We packed like crazy for a month & moved most of the stuff we wanted to save to our storage room (now affectionately known as Tut's Tomb). Then we ran a 3 day garage sale. We'd been pretty ruthless in choosing what to sell. It was especially nice to see so many books go to new owners - fun to see people get really excited to have found what was to them a prize. What stuff we didn't sell we gave or threw away.

Then there were the cats. It was hard to say good-bye to them. We did shed some tears - but I knew they were going to a good home.

Finally we had the house closing and got the place clean and ready for the new owners. On a stormy, rainy, hot day we closed the door for the last time and drove away.

It seemed strange. I had expected to feel emotional about leaving a house where we had been happy and raised our kids. We'd even done the remodeling in the last year that had made the house just exactly the way I wanted it. But somehow I never looked back. My bags were packed and I was ready to go. It was exciting - a whole new chapter was there to be written - and I was anxious to see what would happen.

No comments: