Friday, June 27, 2008

Up, up and away

Back from Colorado and now the countdown to departure began in earnest. We decided not to ship anything ahead. If we couldn't take it on the plane we wouldn't take it. I wanted to take my guitar - I figured I'd have long evenings by the fireside to practice. I had a set of stainless mixing bowls and measuring spoons that I couldn't live without, and several pots that filled a gap in the furnished kitchen equipment list. Clothes of course and medicines, cosmetics etc. that I figured I may not be able to find there. And Jack's folding fly rod that he'd gotten as a going away gift. And that's about it.

We had a wooden crate in which I packed my guitar, and arranged the kitchen stuff around it. I filled in the spaces and cushioned everything with wash cloths, towels and dishtowels and may even have gotten some clothes and shoes in there. We had 8 pieces of luggage in all - 2 duffle bags, 2 suitcases, a backpack, a suitbag, Jack's typewriter and the crate.

We managed to sell the car two days before we left - cut that too close for comfort.

It was hardest to say good-bye to the girls and my parents. My father all of a sudden had come up with some health problems and I knew we wouldn't be together again for a long time. We had a friend drive us to the airport and just leave us at the door - no long farewells. A very nice porter took our stuff and we were only charged for one extra piece of luggage - no weight overage charges. He got a good tip. And then we were on the plane and headed off - next stop Gatwick Airport and London.

No comments: