Thursday, June 12, 2008

I find our new home

The day after we arrived in Polbain, Wilf and Wendy took us to see the four houses that were possible rentals for us. Three of them didn't feel like home - but the last one we went to welcomed me like it was fated to be mine. Castlehill was an old crofting cottage - white, slate-roofed with a red gate framed by rowan trees (rumored to ward off witches). It took its name from the round hill rising right behind it. W&W's sheep were grazing in the yard - mowing the lawn.

The house was full of comfy furniture (except for the beds which were much shorter than Jack) and had a fully furnished kitchen. The only heat was from the fireplaces (coal or peat) so we'd have to get a calor gas heater for the kitchen. There was a small stove and two tiny refrigerators - no freezer space - so I knew that would be a problem. I made a list of favorite kitchen gadgets that I used all the time at home but were missing here. I would be sure to bring those with me.

The house belonged to Murdo and Joan - an older (70's) brother and sister, both unmarried who now shared a cottage down the road a piece. I loved them both the first time I met them and the price they wanted to rent Castlehill was well within our budget. I agreed to the terms without hesitation. I had found our home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Im Inspired again.